The blog of Richard Thompson, caricaturist, creator of "Cul de Sac," and winner of the 2011 Reuben Award for Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Fan Art Saturday Falls On A Saturday This Week Again!

Here we have two masterful examples of fan art. So masterful, in fact, that I'm considering passing the strip along to one of you people; I can't do this forever, you know. And then Cul de Sac would qualify as a "legacy" strip, making its position on the comic pages inviolable. I'd just keep 95% of the take, plus all rights into perpetuity. Deal?


From our old friend the cartoonist & animator Marc Crisafulli comes this heart-warming scene of an unexpected romance between Nara and Beni, As Nara is the most mature and accomplished student at Blisshaven (being 4 1/2) and Beni is more competent than most, especially Dill, I shouldn't be surprised. Please note the liveliness of the line and the subtle yet fanciful color. Marc, take a bow!


Here Mr. Evan "Doc" Shaner proposes a very likely explanation for the name Blammos. And he includes the redoubtable Mr. Danders, who I've sadly neglected for the last year. When I look at a piece like this it makes me wish I knew how to draw. Thank you, Doc, please take a bow! And thanks for the kind email (and my regards to your wife).

4 comments:

Mike said...

Oh dear. The idea of vanilla mixed with plastic gave me a sensory flashback of something I wasted my allowance on back in about 1959 -- a flavored toothbrush. Why anyone, even a nine-year-old boy, thought plastic impregnated with vanilla would yield vanilla flavored tootbrushing is beyond my older self. (Okay, not exactly Proust ...)

Hinzi said...

I am a fan of Fan Art Saturday, and I wish I could draw! I like both new additions and their different styles! And the palette of Marc Crisafulli’s piece reminds me of a children’s book I used to have in the early 50s. It was about the adventures of a weathervane rooster who had run away from his church steeple.

Doc Shaner said...

If you ever stopped doing it, that would take away everything I love about this strip. I would totally take that 5% though.

Thanks for the very kind words, Richard. Again, I'm a huge fan of your work.

Marc Crisafulli said...

Thanks -(!)- but it goes without saying that your shoes are unfillable and always will be. I'd be overjoyed with a gig lettering a foreign edition of "Cul de Sac". Is such a position available for those who might enjoy the strip in Dinka or Foochow?